The Countryside Stewardship Scheme is England’s principal agri-environment scheme to help farmers and land managers protect wildlife, create new habitats and reduce flood risk. This is a targeted scheme which funds projects to:
- Restore habitats
- Improve water quality and woodland
- Reduce flood risk
- Protect landscapes
- Provide year-round food and shelter for pollinators, birds and other wildlife
The Mid Tier of Countryside Stewardship offers 5-year agreements for environmental improvements in the wider countryside, such as reducing diffuse water pollution or improving the environment for birds, pollinators and farm wildlife.
The Higher Tier specifically focuses on environmentally important sites, including commons, woodlands and Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSI’s), where the more complex management requires support from Natural England or the Forestry Commission.
The hedgerows and boundaries grant is a stand-alone capital grant. Farmers and other land managers can apply for this grant to help provide environmental and landscape benefits on their land.
- Higher Tier Scheme: Closed
- Mid Tier Scheme: Open – Initial Applications Submitted By 30th September 2017
- Hedge & Boundaries Grant:
- Capital Grants (For Woodland Management Plans): Open
- Woodland Creation & Management: Open until approximately April 2018
- Tree Health: Open
- Facilitation Fund For Wildlife: Closed
- Facilitation Fund Floods Round: Closed