Surveyors within the industry will be familiar with the measuring approaches of Gross External Area, Gross Internal Area and Net Internal Area, which are contained within the RICS Code of Measuring Practice, 6th Edition.
To supplement this document, the RICS Property Measurement Professional Statement, 1st Edition was developed, to incorporate International Property Measurement Standards (IPMS). The first of the IPMS series developed by a global coalition of professional bodies (IPMS: Office), became mandatory for all members in January 2016.
On 1st May 2018, the RICS Property Measurement Professional Statement, 2nd Edition becomes mandatory for all RICS members and regulated firms. This edition follows the release of IPMS: Residential Buildings.
The aim of the latest standard is to ensure professionalism by RICS members when undertaking property measurements, as well as to ensure professionals are kept up to date with evolving trends. It provides consistency across the profession and uniformity to the way that property is measured and reported on the global platform. Therefore, it is important that members make themselves familiar with the latest changes.
The mandatory requirements for this standard will focus on:
- Purpose of the measurement instruction
- Date of the measurement instruction
- Date of measurement
- Measurement standard adopted
- If IPMS is not used, document the reason for departure
- Measurement methodology adopted (e.g. laser measurer or tape measure)
- Scale of any plans used
- Floor area schedule with relevant areas cross referenced to floorplans
- Unit of measurement and conversion factor, if applicable (e.g. square feet to square metres)
- Name of the RICS member and / or RICS regulated firm responsible for the instruction
This means that RICS regulation would review the compliance of members and regulated firms with this standard, in case of a complaint or other concern being raised. In such cases, a member or regulated firm might be asked to provide evidence of compliance with the standard.